Monday, June 25, 2007

Chasing Mary Lou

Mary Lou and I were having a grand time chasing each other around and around. Through the kitchen we went. Through the dining room, the playroom, the bathroom and out the door to the laundry room and back through the kitchen again. Doors opened and closed. This was great fun. Mother didn’t think so. She was trying to take a bath. The bathroom had two doors. One was at the playroom end and the other opened out into the laundry room. The laundry room was unheated and looked out onto the back porch. She must have asked us to stop, but we paid no attention. Finally her patience was exhausted. She jumped out of the tub and slammed the door to the laundry room shut.

Unfortunately, my hand was in still in that doorway. The door caught my left thumb and I started to scream. The door to the laundry room was weather stripped, or the damage would probably have been much worse. She called Mrs. Shoemaker, and Mr. Shoemaker drove us to the nearest doctor, only a few blocks away. The injury must have been painful. I really don’t remember. I know that I lost the thumbnail and had a fairly large bandage. I remember how upset and guilty my mother felt. I had to stop at the doctor’s on my way home from school a few times for the aftercare. His office was in his home, and I walked past it everyday on my way to and from school. When the nail started to grow back, it was all very lumpy and ugly. I remember chewing away at that nail until it finally it grew back straight. I still have a scar on that thumb to remind me of that day.

No comments: